Monday, September 14, 2015

Mixed Media - DREAM canvas...

Happy Monday, everyone! Today's share for Mixed Media Monday is an 8x8 canvas that I made just for fun. I played with a few of my newest colors of Golden heavy body acrylic paints for the background, then layered some stenciling, and finally lots of findings with a twist...


Instead of layering all the findings and fun pieces flat across the center of the canvas, I turned two 3x3 mini canvases upside down, adhered them to the center of the 8x8, and layered the pieces inside and out of the mini canvases...it adds lots of fun dimension...





Here are a few stepouts showing how it came about. The first step was to gesso the backs of the mini canvases with black gesso, and pencil in their final position on the larger canvas. Then I randomly added some of my favorite acrylics for the background, and splattered with white gesso...



Then I added some molding paste through a stencil...only in two corners, since the other two would most likely be covered with embellishments...


Then it was time for fun. The first step was to glue the two mini canvases to the larger one - I used fabric glue for that, since it was canvas-to-canvas. Once it was good and dry, I started adding...and adding...and adding...chipboard die cuts, wood cut shapes, lots of layers of metal findings...the works!

I coated most of the pieces with black gesso before I glued them to the canvas, so I'd only have to do light touchups after they were all secured. I didn't want to risk having some of the black gesso cover areas of the background where I wanted color to show. Once I photographed that step, I thought the middle looked like a big black blob (and who wants to look at that? - haha). So I painted some of the pieces with one of the colors I planned to use, and added the seed beads for contrast, so you can see a bit more where it's going...




Once I had the embellishments secured, and painted that first small area, I thought the stenciled background areas looked a bit too bright. I was using Inka Gold metallic paints on the embellishments throughout the center, and I wanted that area to be the brightest part of the canvas. So I got out a black Stabilo pencil and shaded the stenciled areas to tone them down just a little, and add more dimension to the unembellished corners...





Here are some more detail shots. Once I had glued all the embellishments down, I touched up some of the areas with more black gesso, then started applying several different colors of Inka Gold metallic paints.

I love how some of my very-old metallic-colored buttons are so perfect for this type of project. Many years ago, you could find bags of these silver and gold buttons in the craft stores. There would be mixes of wonderful shapes - butterflies, hearts, stars, keys, zipper pulls - all sorts of goodies all in one bag, for about $5. Years later, I'm finally starting to get to the end of the supply from these button bags, and sad that they're not available anymore. You can see in this first pic one of the butterfly buttons, and on the left, the rope-edged pull-type button beneath the wooden scroll...




paper and metal flowers, hearts, buttons, findings...lots of goodies brushed with metallic colors...




This pretty round medallion was in my stash, so I topped it with a silver button, then put a Finnabair finding right in the center of the beautifully-edged button...






The "dream" key in this next photo was the inspiration for the title of the canvas and the small phrase stickers that were added around the finished canvas...


Supplies:
Color Mediums:   Golden heavy body acrylic paints:  Teal, Primary Yellow, Ultramarine Violet, Quin Nickel Azo Gold, Quin Magenta
Viva Decor Inka Gold metallic paints:   Aquamarine, Green Yellow, Steel Blue, Orange, Magenta, Violet
Stencil:   Prima "Circular Lattice"             Stamp:   Prima/Finnabair "Messy"
Dies:   Sizzix "Flowers Branches & Leaves             
Word stickers, pen nib, arrow:   Tim Holtz Idea-ology            
Metal flowers, large metal butterfly, "dream" key, floral medallions:   TheFunkieJunkie.com
Paper flowers:   Wild Orchid Crafts             Small metal findings:   Prima/Finnabair
Wood scrolls, buttons, hearts, stars, butterflies, seed beads:   local craft stores
Miscellaneous mixed media supplies:   Stabilo All pencil (black),  drywall tape,  black & white gessos,  Golden molding paste 



Thanks so much for visiting today...I hope your week is starting with a smile!



6 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! Love love love this! Outstanding creating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning! And what a brilliant idea to layer your embellishments with the canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BELLISIMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TE FELICITO Y GRACIAS POR EL TUTO SOS UNA GENIAAAAAAAAA

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just recently bought a bag of gold mixed buttons (silver was also available) at Hobby Lobby for $5! Not sure if you have access to this store,but they are there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just stunning. I'm glad I ran across this on Pinterest! Will be going through my
    growing stash of 'junky funky' stuff to see if I can create something along this idea. Really very nice. TFS.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment - I appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...