Wednesday, June 11, 2014

One Technique...Three Looks...

Happy "Hump Day!" Today I have three cards to share that all are made using the same technique...another one I learned during the Watercolor for Cardmakers online class.  It's a pretty simple technique using stencils in a different way, and definitely one that's fun to experiment with!

They're all Clean and Simple, and two have a bit of Shabby Chic added to the mix. With this first one, I was inspired by a beautiful photo I saw of a morning sunrise, and that gave me the idea to use the particular stencil I used. So I loaded watercolors in a couple different purples, a bright golden orange, and a deep orange, and here's what I got...



I added a small heart, machine "stitched" it without thread around the edges, and used a combo of stamping and a die cut for the sentiment. Here are some close-ups...




I was happy to see the way the watercolors blended as they dried, and the design of the stencil was perfect for the "sun rays" I was hoping to get. I followed the placement of some of the lines caused by the stencil to machine-stitch some lines to the bottom of the card front...



Supplies:
Sentiment stamp:   Winnie & Walter "The Big, The Bold, And You"
Dies:   Technique Tuesday "Say It-Fabulous";   Papertrey Ink "Limitless Layers-Heart Stitches"
Stencil:   Memory Box "Texture Brilliant"
Orange gemstone:   EK Success            Watercolors:  Sakura Koi



This next card uses a chevron stencil, turned on its side, and very *bright* watercolors. :)  I highlighted the straight lines of the chevron edges and center with machine stitching. The splatters are actually stamped...I didn't trust my splattering technique that day, and realized that I had an ink that matched the bright pink watercolor, so that's what I went with!



A couple close-ups...



Supplies:
Stamps:   Winnie & Walter "The Big, The Bold, and The Happy";   Stampin'Up! Gorgeous Grunge
Stencil:   Tim Holtz Chevron            Gems:   Kaisercraft
Watercolors:  Sakura Koi


The last card for today is actually the first one I made. It's very close to the card that was taught in the online class, and actually allowed me, for the first time, to see the difference in the different brands of watercolors. The watercolors I used for this card are a bit paler, softer, and leave a more "chalky" finished look than the other two cards...still pretty, but a different look that you may not be able to actually see in the photos...




Supplies:
Sentiment stamp:   Winnie & Walter "The Big, The Bold, and You"
Stencil:   Tim Holtz Chevron            Watercolors:  Loew Cornell
Miscellaneous:   silver sequins, white twine



Thanks for stopping by today. Tomorrow I'll be sharing a "fully loaded" mixed media and watercolor card. Until then, have a great day!




4 comments:

  1. Brilliant trio of cards love them all! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome cards Kathy..loved the technqiues , colors n fab layering..Super Stylish CAS !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cards ...happy crafting ...x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am lovin your water colors! These look great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment - I appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...