Friday, October 19, 2012

My Creative Time - Designer's Challenge

I found this fun challenge through an online friend - someone I "met" on a scrapbooking message board about 10 years ago now.  Shar posted a fun color challenge over at My Creative Time - and, in addition to the color pallette of light aqua, dark brown, and yellow...


...we were to use at least three handmade flowers, and some "bling."  Well, if you've ever visited my blog at all, you know I can't resist a challenge like that!  :)

There are actually four handmade flowers on my card, not counting the three clusters of tiny punched flowers.  Three are paper roses made with Prima and Kaisercraft "flat" flowers (remember those jars of flowers we used to go crazy over? Yep...those are what these three paper roses are made from.)  There's a wonderful tutorial that Nic Aspinall put up on the web a few years ago...if you're interested, you can find it here .

The fourth is the hand-crocheted flower that the aqua rose nests in.  I initially learned to crochet this type of flower from this site, but if you're not a crocheter by heart, Nichole Heady put up another tutorial with more detailed step-by-step photos here.


I wanted to add a small touch of another accent color, so I punched tiny flowers from a coordinating orange cardstock, then dry-brushed them with cream paint for a more distressed look, and put tiny little pearls in the center of each one...


The large aqua rose has been dry-brushed with cream acrylic paint, the edges inked, then the flower sprinkled with clear medium glitter before it was nestled down into the center of the crocheted flower, and a pearl added to the center...


The scallops on this lace match the spacing of the scalloped die cut edge perfectly, so I couldn't resist adding the lace border...

Supplies:
Patterned papers: My Minds Eye Miss Caroline/Dolled Up collection
Dies: Spellbinders Classic Scallop Edgeabilities; Memory Box Elegant Scrollwork
Punches: EK Success Diamond Lace; Martha Stewart 3-in-1 Hydrangea, and Medium Branch
Scalloped lace: TheFunkieJunkie.com (tea-dyed)      Pearls: Recollections      Sentiment stamp: Hero Arts
Handmade paper roses and crocheted flower (cut Prima flowers to form leaf clusters)

Thanks so much for visiting today...I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

10 comments:

  1. Amazing! Love all your cards, they're stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning, your card and your hand made flowers, love the colors and design.
    Have a nice day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my GOSH!your card is just BEAUTIFUL with all those GORGEOUS details!Thanks for joining us in the My Creative Time /Designer Challenge!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you create the MOST amazing cards.. I could look at this all day!! really really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, simply stunning, what incredible color. It is just beautiful and those flowers are perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh WOW!!! Now that's a GORGEOUS card!! Such beautiful flowers and bling. You did a wonderful job! Thanks for joining us in the My Creative Time ~ Designer's Challenge :)

    ~ Cassandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Kathy, this is absolutely gorgeous!!!!! Thanks so much for playing with us and taking my challenge. Your card is simply stunning!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous as always my friend. :) and yes i still have all those jars of flowers so u will hav to school me on how to make those flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous, gorgeous details on this. So beautiful! Thanks for playing along with the MCT Challenge! Hugs, Cathryn :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my goodness this is just crazy beautiful! thanks for playing with us at My Creative Time's Designer Challenge!
    liz

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment - I appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...