Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A Page From My Own Book, Part I...

What do you do when you get in a design "slump?"  I have a few solutions I often use...check out challenge and sketch blogs, look through interior design sites, look at fine art sites...and check out my own previous projects. 

I have been photographing and scanning my scrapbook pages and cards since I started making them in earnest about 11 years ago.  I used to submit pages for publication, so I needed those photos and scans for that. For cards, I wanted to be able to see what I'd sent when and to whom, so I didn't duplicate the next year.  So, by now, I have a pretty good "library" of projects to cruise through.  Granted, my style has gone through a few changes over the years, but the design placements often work regardless of style.

As an example, today's card uses the same basic design as this card posted last month...
and this card from March of this year...
and this card from March, 2011...
and there are more, but you see where this is going. :)

The basic design has a rectangular vertical block over a base block, with a horizontal strip between the two. By varying the shape of the card, the width and the side the vertical strip is on, the colors of the papers, and the embellishments, you can get quite a different look between the finished cards.  Sometimes, the challenge to come up with something different using the same design is the biggest part of the fun!

So, here's today version of that same basic design. I was using some of my newer My Minds Eye papers, and a bit of a different color combo than I usually turn to, and I think I've come up with another variation to add to the collection! :)


I'm going to have to hunt down some more of these fabric roses...I seem to have developed a real affinity for them lately...


the "border" along the side of the floral paper block is actually one side from the Fleur de Lis Square die...

Supplies:
Patterned papers: MyMindsEye Miss Caroline/Fiddlesticks (floral) and Dolled Up (gold dot)
Dies: Spellbinders Fleur de Lis Squares; My Favorite Things Royal Leaves; Memory Box Elegant Scrollwork
Fabric rose: local craft store      Mini paper roses & pearl flourishes: Prima
Wide crochet lace: The Funkie Junkie on Zibbet       Mini loose pearls: Kaisercraft       Handcrafted stick pin

Thanks for visiting today...I hope your week is going well!




2 comments:

  1. Stunningly gorgeous Cards Kathy !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous papers, design, and embellishments. I loved your design process!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment - I appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...